Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A Strange Encounter


One of the weirdest things happened to me today. There's this metrosexual ginger-haired guy in one of my classes who I have found really arrogant and annoying. I avoid him when I can, but today he arrived later than I and chose to sit right next to me. Oh, and I hate his cologne too. I made it through the class by pretending that I had blinders on the side of my face. Then when I left, I this guy followed me out and asked me about artists, who is my favourite artist, why did I leave art school and what I think about Picasso. It was after he gave his spiel about cubism that I asked him "What is this? Why are you talking to me?" He was silent, probably with shock so I elaborated. "We're both sociology students and I don't get this. I mean, I'm not really nice to you."
He responded with, "Well, I don't really like you and I find you arrogant and sometimes you're mean to the teacher, but I figured that if I spoke to you outside class that I would find something that wouldn't make me dislike you so much."
I laughed. "Yeah, I can be a real cunt sometimes. And it's really funny because the reason I don't like you is because I think you're arrogant."
"Well I know it when I'm being arrogant." he replied.
"Yeah, it seems to me that you're a shit-disturber for the sake of being a shit-disturber. Wow, it's not everyday that someone tells me I'm arrogant and that they dislike me - this is really cool! I think I have more respect for you now!" It felt really good to hear this information probably because it was honest and negative at the same time. People in this culture tend to avoid delivering such comments. I also found it interesting that his dislike for me that motivated him to try to get to know me. Most people don't do things that way.
"So, you think we could be friends or something?" he asked.
"Sure," I replied. "See you in class."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home